Friday, September 21, 2012

092112

I am so frustrated right now!  This morning, when dad got his rental and picked us up, I got all the information and applied for a temporary resident rental permit.  I had to go to a UPS store to fax proof of residency and the rental agreement to the OPC, and around noon they emailed me the permit.  They told me to put it on the passenger side rear windshield (which I did) and I thought we were good to go!

Then we get back from the Red Sox game, and there's a parking ticket on the car.  Are you serious?!  The stupid person didn't see the permit, probably because the windows are tinted- but it was there.  And they didn't look for it, because you can see if you look for it.  They probably saw it was out of state plates, and issued it without even looking.  Ugh.  Anyway, I immediately go online to dispute the ticket, and they don't even have it in their records yet!  So I have to do it some time tomorrow.  It's just annoying, because I researched ways we could park it, came up with this rental resident permit, got it all sorted, and we still got a ticket.  I don't want to pay it.  I think it's ridiculous.

Other than that though, the day was good!  Dad came and woke us up around 6:45.  We hopped in the car and looked for a breakfast place that was open.  We ended up in Back Bay, near the prudential center, at a place called Thornton's (like Jumbo Joe!).  It was ok, since it was before 8 am there were only elderly people there.  I got Eggs Benedict, Dad got like a combo plate with eggs and bacon and pancakes, and Kourtney got an omelette.  We then went back to the apartment, only to find the construction guys there sanding down the plaster.  So we couldn't stay and breathe in all the dust (it was also a huge mess).  We changed into real clothes (I had stayed in my pajamas when Dad called and was downstairs in the rental) and headed back on the road.  Ikea didn't open until 10, but we weren't sure how long it would take to get there so we just headed out then.  It's in Staughton, about 25 miles outside of Boston.  Dad had upgraded the rental to include a GPS unit, so we didn't have any trouble finding it at all.

We get there at 9:30.  Too early.  So we stop by Home Depot that was down the street, and Dad buys me an electric drill with some drill bits, and more screwdrivers.  Very handy when putting together Ikea furniture!

It's 9:45 and we still have extra time.  We just walk into Ikea and wait in the lobby area.  A worker was passing out free coffee, but we didn't want any so we just sat on a bench for 15 minutes.

We go upstairs right at 10 and browse the showroom.  Since I already pretty much knew what I needed, we didn't have to look at everything.  I decided on a chest of drawers and a desk.  We went downstairs and basically breezed through the whole thing (though I did pick up a wastepaper basket and corkboard).  Finally in the warehouse we grab our stuff and leave.  It was the fasted Ikea trip EVER, there was almost no one there.  Definitely a huge contrast from when I went with Jessi a couple of weeks ago.

We stopped at the UPS store on the way back, to mail out a box I needed to return to Zappos, and to fax the permit stuff.  It cost almost $4 for a fax!!  Crazy (another reason I refuse to pay this stupid ticket).

We also stop at Target for a few small things (ibuprofen, tape, thumbtacks, etc.) and we get some caffeine in the form of Pepsi!  It wasn't a big Target trip, just a quickie.  I couldn't remember the things I needed/wanted.

We get back to the apartment and unload.  By the time we are done, the permit is ready- so I print it out and put it on the car.  It's like 12:30 now.  The construction guys are still here, but now they are painting (and they've cleaned up a bit).  Dad takes a nap, and Kourt and I start putting together the stuff I got.  We get the desk, the chair, and one dresser down.  There is still one more dresser (I got two small ones instead of one big one).  Dad woke up around 3:30 and we hung about until 5:00 when we left for the Red Sox game!  We took the T, Dad and Kourtney got CharlieCards ($2 each ride) and Dad got his first taste of public transportation in Boston.  Getting there was a problem because the idiot girl in front of me stopped and wouldn't move, so we didn't get to the doors in time. They literally closed in my face.  I was annoyed.  So we got off at the next stop and just walked a bit more than we normally would have.  The Red Sox game was awesome, we had really good seats- the bleachers are right on the field.  We had to shuffle around a couple of times because mine and Dad's seats weren't with Kourtney's- and we didn't want to sit separately- but by the 4th inning we had a good spot.  Kourt got some Fried Dough, which was good- like a big flat donut covered with powdered sugar and cinnamon.  She accidentally used the wrong spout when she was putting the powdered sugar on, and it ALL came out, phoofff, on top of her dough.  It was really funny.

We left at the 7th inning stretch (but that's not news if you have ever gone to a professional sports game with Dad- well, make that anywhere with Dad).  Took the T home, I almost fell all the way down on my face (but I didn't! I was able to catch myself) and then we saw the dreadful ticket.  Now it's almost 11pm, Dad is sleeping in Sara's room, Kourt is watching Hulu and I am writing a lot of words on a blog that one person reads (Hi Lauren, thanks for all the comments!).

Tomorrow we are going to paint the hideous red hallway, go down to the harbor, go shopping for a warm winter coat, and go out to dinner at the Atlantic Fish Co.!  I am excited.  I also am going to make Dad drive to the grocery store because we need a case of water and that would SUCK to have to carry up the hill right by our apartment.  Also, Sara gets back tomorrow, so we can finally check the mail!  I should have my checkbook and Zipcard in there.

I will edit and upload pictures tomorrow, I am too lazy to do it tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment