Friday, January 30, 2015

013015

I know I said I would post on Sunday, but obviously that didn't happen, haha.

So this week.

Saturday it snowed, and Sara and spent all day making poodle skirts and watching The Wire.

Sunday was bar league, for which we wore said poodle skirts (see pics, they came out really well!).   We also sang Karaoke.  There were four categories:  Movie Song, 80s/90s song, Rap/Hip Hop, and Team Sing Along.

We had brunch beforehand to help prepare ourselves.  Two big girl mimosas later, I was in a good place to start singing in front of people.

Song Selections:  we did Grease, You're the One That I Want as our movie song (to go with the 50s dress theme), Barbie Girl for 80s/90s, Milkshake for our Hip Hop sing, and I Believe In a Thing Called Love as our Team Sing Along.

Of course, we went all out.  Everyone dressed in 50s theme, so we got extra points there.  We brought Shake Shack cups to be props during milkshake, and Sara put on the Morticia wig, a sweat band and took off the skirt to rock out for I Believe in a Thing Called Love.  I may have also busted out an air guitar.

So we won, obviously.  It was a fun night.

Monday was the start of the storm, but as it didn't start until later in the day I went to work as normal. It took me 2 hours to get home.  I left at 4:45, walked to the T and jumped on the red line like any other day.  I didn't have to wait long for a train to show up so I thought I would miss the mess.  I was wrong.  I spent an hour on that train.  In that hour, we only went two stops.  We spent a good chunk of the time stopped in the middle of the bridge that connects Boston to Cambridge.  We couldn't get out, and we were stuffed in there, all complaining.

Of course as soon as we hit Kendall I jumped off.  I didn't want to have to go through the 3 other stops in that train, who knows how long I would have had to wait.  A lot of other people also had the same idea, so I had to wait 20 minutes for an Uber.  $20 and 15 minutes later I was home.  Sara and I went to the store and tried to grab some supplies for the storm.  The store was PACKED.  Also, most of the food was gone.  We wanted to make chili- but there was no meat.  So we settled on Mac N Cheese, dip, and grilled cheese.  Also, Sara slipped and fell in slow motion in the snow.

Tuesday was the storm!  I had to work from home, so I got up at 9 am, and sat my butt down on the couch, wrapped in a blanket.  I put in some Buffy episodes and checked my emails.  Sara joined me a little bit later, and studied for the GRE. When Teresa came out to join us, we switched from Buffy to X Files and that was our storm show. We made grilled cheese for lunch and the cat tried to keep Sara from studying.   I think I was pretty productive for a day working from home!  I think having the freedom to snack and have something on in the background really helped me focus, which I know sounds weird.

Wednesday unfortunately we had to go into work.  It took an hour, as the T was operating on a slower schedule and there were delays due to "weather related incidents."  I left 15minutes earlier than normal, and got in 15 minutes late.  Only 4 people in my office showed up, everyone else worked from home again (I was hoping Bill would send an email letting us know we could work from home, but he didn't so I went in).  I didn't have issues getting home.

Thursday was a MESS.  I left at my regular time, thinking that yesterday would be the worst of it, and there wouldn't be any problems.  Boy was I wrong.  I took the escalator down the 60 floors and as soon as I could see the bottom I knew I was gonna be late.  There were so many people on the platform waiting for a train, they were backed up to the bottom the escalators.  Yikes.  I won't drag you through how I had to wait over an hour until I finally fit in a train, but I basically walked into work at 10 am, an hour late.  The day went by pretty quickly, it's the end of the month so I have a lot of monthly reports and research to do.  After work, Megan and I went downstairs for dinner.  There is an Irish Pub, M.J. O'Connor's in our building and Megan had a giftcard to spend.  She got Guinness Beef Stew and a Guinness, and I got Pumpkin & Pecan Ravioli with an Angry Orchard.  My dinner was delicious.  It had cranberries and baked apples in a cream sauce and was both savory and sweet in the best way.  It also came with garlic cheese bread, so I was a happy camper.  I ate it all, and used my bread to soak up the sauce.

I had scored screening tickets to go see Kingsman, so we headed over to the theater after finishing our meal.  We got there 15 minutes ahead of time, found seats in the middle in the front, and watched a ridiculous but awesome movie.  Seriously, only about 20 minutes in I knew I wanted to buy it when its out.  It was hilarious.  I originally wanted to see it because it had Colin Firth, but it was way better than I expected it to be. There are some pretty violent scenes, but it works.

This morning was business as usual, no problems with the T and everyone came into the office.  I had some free time, so I thought I would post my last January entry!

This weekend should be pretty tame.  I don't have any plans on Saturday, and Sunday is the Harvard Business School conference.  I've helped put the media sponsors and everything together for the the past three years, but this is the first time I will actually attend.  It's also Superbowl Sunday though, so while I am at the conference everyone else will be going to parties.  I'll be home probably by myself when the actual game is on.  Maybe I will try to make some cool apps or something like Dad used to.  Eh, probably just end up with dip.  And beer.











No comments:

Post a Comment